August 15, 2012

New Song - Rough Draft

This is a rough draft of a brand new song. I've been tapping away at it for most of the summer, and it's just now getting to the point where I'm comfortable sharing it. It doesn't have lyrics for the chorus yet, so in this recording I just fill the space with vocalization. Let me know what you think. Thanks!
 

My brother told me all about the white pine blister rust
and he said the bark beetle's bite hurts like hell.
Well, I'm just as tall and I'm just as rough
and any chance I stood sat down when he fell.
So I count the witches brooms and the bloody needle tips
and the sum comes up at the end of each damn day,
but my mama told me once, with time between her lips,
that everything is nothing but change.

[chorus]

I don't like the way it sounds and I hate the way it tastes
but when the words roll off my tongue I know they're true:
"There is beauty in what is brief and even more in what we waste"
Why else would it hurt so bad to gain and lose?
When it's my time to fall, to bleed, and to break
I only ask of you this one simple thing:
don't say it was enough or that I've gone to a better place
just pour beauty from your eyes and let it sing.

[chorus]