June 18, 2012

"Jeremiah" Revamped

I've been working on this song off and on for two or three years now, and I feel like it's finally starting to come together. The verse is what it was originally, but the chorus and the little change-up that starts with "and when you sleep" is all new. What I really like about this one is that--because it took some time to complete--I was able to write from two perspectives. Those two perspectives being Me Then and Me Now. So, the way it turned out, Me Now is addressing/speaking to Me Then with a somewhat foretelling tone coming through in the chorus. And that's something I've never really done before. Anyway, this is a rough demo I put together tonight and I wanted to share. Let me know what you think. Eventually I'll take it to the studio, but I'm going to let it sit for awhile so I can be sure it's how it needs to be.




Jeremiah told me a story all about what's in you
the battle between your head and heart and how you didn't think that you could see this through
and all the things you know you knew weren't true.

Now I've been reading old classics, bestsellers, and things everybody's read.
I flipped through Fitzgerald's Gatsby, I found your description and there it said
that your life is more of a pink and less of a red.

Someday you might find there's more to say
than what your tongue and teeth can put in place
and when it comes you'll feel you've fallen far away
from where you thought the world got its grace.

Now, companions are friends, friends are neighbors, and neighbors keep you in their sights.
They become violators, voyeurs who just want to read everything you write
and the thought of their thoughts on your thoughts keeps you up at night.

And when you sleep
you walk among the words that they read.
The ones you loved and tried to keep,
but now they're dark and turned to bruises that you dream

Someday you might find there's more to say
than what your tongue and teeth can put in place
and when it comes you'll feel you've fallen far away
from where you thought the world got its grace.