July 13, 2012

Getting Into It

Well, I've been into the studio a few times this week and I've made some slow but good progress. I'm learning that--for myself, anyway--it's quite psychologically challenging. Playing through a simple guitar track is suddenly a mission to get to the end of the song without any noticeable flaws in the performance. Which means playing in time with a metronome and knowing where you are in the song without the guidance of lyrics--all while maintaining the emotive dynamics you'd play to accompany those lyrics.  Not quite the mental workout I'm used to while playing a song.

Let me tell you about yesterday's session: I spent 3 hours in the studio and reaped only a single guitar track for the latest version of Cry Out to Kin. I am proud of it, though (I think it may be the closest thing to "perfect" that I've done thus far) and working at one thing for that long taught me quite a bit about how I function while recording. If I've got the right mindset, things go a lot smoother. They'd probably go even smoother if it weren't so hot outside. Even though the studio is air-conditioned, unless I want clanky buzzing fan noises in the background of every track I record, I have to turn the cooling system off. So, it gets muggy in there; my hands get sticky and playing the guitar becomes ten times harder. At one point I had to tape my bracelet over the string pins of my guitar because my palm was making clammy clicking noises every time it touched them.


Anyway, even though it's been difficult it's also been really exciting. I feel like things are gaining momentum and it's really nice to be going through my material again and freshening it up. Eventually I'll post some of what I've recorded, but I'm going to wait until I've got something more developed to share. Right now, most of it is just better quality versions of what I've already posted on the Music page. But there are exciting things to come. I've added piano to The Rest and I'm pretty stoked about how it's sounding so far. 

More updates soon!